Katja and her family runs Bed & Breakfast Pax Tibi with great pleasure! The origins of Bed & Breakfast Pax Tibi and a bit of history about the farm can be read below.
In the middle of the Green Heart, in the South Holland village of Reeuwijk, is the farm “Pax Tibi”, which means “Peace be with you”, surrounded by water. This stylish farmhouse was built almost 150 years ago in 1872, probably by order of the Donk family. The foundation stone was laid by the then 11-year-old Mya van Donk on March 8 of that year. During later renovations, a small shelf appeared with inscription: “This house was finished by L.Zaal in 1873”. A greeting from the 19th century!
In 1923 the farm was bought by the van Zoest family. It included 12 acres of land where they kept cows, pigs and sheep. Behind the farm is a brick barn with a gable roof of braised muldenpans dating back to 1927, where pigs were kept. After that, two generations of the van Zoest family farmed and live here until 1987.
In the year of birth of Princess Beatrix, the three (now major) beech trees were planted in the front garden. The trees represent faith, hope and love.
In 1988 the farm came into the possession of the Scheer family. The belonging land then went to a new tree nursery area. The Scheer family renovate the farm, which from then on is no longer used as an active farm, but it does house a number of hobby animals, such as sheep, goats, pigs, rabbits, pigeons and chickens.
July 2003 Marian Scheer-Verdegaal started Bed & Breakfast Pax Tibi, the same name as the farm. The three children had left the house and it became quiet around the farm. To find out whether there would be a demand for a Bed & Breakfast, the old bedrooms of the children were first rented out. Not much later, six comfortable, luxurious rooms are realized in the former piggery in the yard, each with its own luxurious bathroom. In the old cowshed of the farmhouse, breakfast is served every morning in a homely atmosphere.
After nine years welcoming many guests with great pleasure, Marian wants to slow down a bit. She and her husband just don’t want to leave this beautiful spot … That’s why they rebuilt the old summer house, which must have been built around 1872, after an old photo. The truncated neck frontage has been restored to its original state, but the house was built according to modern sustainable techniques. Marian and her husband will live here from the end of 2012. Katja, their daughter wanted to continue the Bed & Breakfast and went to live in the old farm with her family.
After a long preparation it will be official on January 2013 and Katja and Edwin continue the bed and breakfast until today!